Fire & Life Safety Systems 2021 Report
This proprietary research study evaluates the use of fire and life safety systems, types of systems specified, total annual dollar amount of systems specified and critical challenges affecting the industry.
Almost a third of engineering firms annually specify more than $1 million for new and existing buildings. Courtesy: Consulting-Specifying Engineer
The Fire & Life Safety study outlines several findings, such as:
- Seventy-three percent of survey respondents determine the requirements/write specifications when selecting fire and life safety systems; 68% supervise or consult on the project; 63% recommend the system brand.
- The average respondent spends 27% of their billable hours or time at work researching and/or specifying fire and life safety systems.
- Fire, smoke, heat and linear detection systems top the list of fire and life safety systems currently specified by respondents at 72%, followed by smoke detection, control systems, dampers, etc. at 63%.
- The average firm specifies $2 million annually in fire and life safety systems for new and existing buildings; 14% specify more than $5 million annually.
- Respondents most often write performance (82%) or prescriptive specifications (78%) for fire and life safety systems.
- Product quality, service support and reputation of the manufacturer top the list of extremely important factors respondents look at when selecting fire and life safety systems.
- Fifty-three percent of respondents have observed an increase in building information modeling for fire and life safety systems over the past 12 to 18 months; other changes include those to codes and standards (48%) and COVID-19 modifications or updates (38%).
- More than 70% of respondents foresee challenges in the future of fire and life safety systems, engineers and/or the industry as they relate to subjective interpretation of regulations and inadequate budgets.
The sample for this study was selected from qualified subscribers of Consulting-Specifying Engineer with valid email addresses. Only respondents involved in the selection of fire and life safety systems were asked topic related questions.
To read the full study, register for and download it here.
Do you have experience and expertise with the topics mentioned in this content? You should consider contributing to our CFE Media editorial team and getting the recognition you and your company deserve. Click here to start this process.