Pipe hangers and supports standards updated
The Manufactures Standardization Society has published a comprehensive standard practice for pipe hangers and supports.
The Manufactures Standardization Society (MSS) has published a newly revised and enhanced Standard Practice, SP-58-2009, Pipe Hangers and Supports – Materials, Design, Manufacture, Selection, Application, and Installation.
This comprehensive Standard Practice combines all of the content of five Pipe Hanger and Support standards into a single document. MSS SP-58-2009 will serve as a complete guide for pipe hanger and support design, manufacture, selection, and installation, enabling the user to specify a minimum level of acceptance for pipe hanger design and performance, in addition to defining the types of hangers and supports.
MSS SP-58-2009 includes all of the information from ANSI/MSS SP-69, Selection and Application; MSS SP-77, Guidelines for Pipe Support Contractual Relations; MSS SP-89, Fabrication and Installation Practices; and MSS SP-90, Guidelines on Terminology for Pipe Hangers and Supports.
The scope of this revised Standard Practice:
• Establishes the material, design, fabrication, and inspection criteria to be used in the manufacture of standard types of pipe hanger components
• Establishes the allowable stress values for materials used in standard types of pipe support components and unique hanger design assemblies
• Establishes minimum design load ratings for rigid pipe hanger assemblies
• Presents the recommended practice for the selection and application of pipe hangers and supports for all service temperatures
• Establishes recommended procedures for detailing, fabrication, and installation of pipe hangers and supports
• Serves as a pipe hanger and support specification for selection and application
• Serves as a guide to proven industry practice during engineering design and writing of job specifications covering the hanging, supporting and controlling the movement of piping systems
• Provides the erector with information on types of hanger and support components to be used for specific application and installations, where such information is not otherwise provided
• Serves as a companion document to MSS SP-127 which provides recommendations for the design, selection, and application of bracing for piping systems subject to seismic- wind – dynamic loading.
The content of this Standard Practice provides an effective, clear, and non-exclusive specification that benefits the industry as a whole and provides a basis for common practice by manufacturers, users, and the general public.
Order information is available online.
Do you have experience and expertise with the topics mentioned in this content? You should consider contributing to our CFE Media editorial team and getting the recognition you and your company deserve. Click here to start this process.