Title 24 update: what does it mean for retailers?
The California Building Energy Efficiency Standards update and the impacts these changes will have on retailers.
The update for Title 24 (The California Building Energy Efficiency Standards) is scheduled to go into effect on January 1, 2023. Brian Alessi, Henderson’s Sustainability Director, and Brent Felten, Retail Sector Client Relationship Director, are sharing their knowledge this week at the SPECS Show 2022 in Grapevine, Texas, on the impacts these changes will have on retailers.
As California undergoes the remarkable effort required to achieve the goal of carbon neutrality by 2045, buildings will play a significant role in the transformation. Title 24-2022 takes aggressive steps forward to increase efficiency and promote building systems that exploit renewable energy resources to achieve meaningful decarbonization. Every effort we make in designing better building envelopes, efficient mechanical systems, thoughtful lighting, building scale battery storage systems, or on-site renewable energy systems gets us closer to that 2045 goal.
Below is a list of valuable additional resources to help navigate upcoming work in California and stay ahead of the change.
- California Energy Commission 2022 Building Energy Efficiency Standards
- Energy Code Ace https://energycodeace.com/
- SCAQMD RULE 1111 http://www.aqmd.gov/docs/default-source/rule-book/reg-xi/rule-1111.pdf
- Interactive map of local energy codes in California https://localenergycodes.com/content/map
- California reach codes summary https://localenergycodes.com/
- Building Decarbonization Coalition https://www.buildingdecarb.org/
- Cost-Effective Grid-interactive Efficient Buildings: Decarbonization Potential for a US Retail Portfolio, Rocky Mountain Institute https://rmi.org/insight/cost-effective-grid-interactive-efficient-buildings/
- Grid-Integrated Buildings: A Profitable Linchpin to Decarbonization, Rocky Mountain Institute https://rmi.org/grid-integrated-buildings/
- The Building Decarbonization Practice Guide, William J Worthen Foundation https://www.collaborativedesign.org/get-the-guide-bdpg
Henderson Engineers is a CFE Media content partner.
Original content can be found at Henderson Engineers.