Government building design: Fire and life safety
- Ian Bost, PE, LEED AP, Principal, Mechanical Engineer, Baird, Hampton & Brown Inc., Fort Worth, Texas
- Robert Eichelman, PE, LEED AP, Technical Director, EYP Architecture & Engineering, Albany, N.Y.
- Paul W. Johnson, PE, LEEP AP BD+C, Vice President of Mechanical Engineering, Wood Harbinger, Bellevue, Wash.
- Katie McGimpsey, PE, LEED AP, Principal Affiliated Engineers Inc., Rockville, Md.
- R. Scott Pegler, PE, LEED AP, Director of Mechanical Engineering, Setty, Fairfax, Va.
CSE: What unique fire suppression systems have you specified or designed in government or military buildings?
Bost: We have specified waterless fire suppression systems (FM200, and similar) for special spaces (IT, archival storage).
CSE: How have the costs and complexity of fire protection systems changed in recent years?
Bost: The waterless system costs seem to be increasing. Standard sprinkler system costs seem to be stable.