Consulting-Specifying Engineer most-viewed articles, February 2020
Consulting-Specifying Engineer‘s top 10 articles online in February 2020 covered NEC changes, building automation advances, electrical design for smoke control systems, cooling coil condensate, lighting commissioning and more. Catch up with a link to each article below.
1. NFPA 20: Fire pump design – When designing a fire pump, there are a number of factors to keep in mind, particularly NFPA 20
2. Analyzing NEC 2017 changes – Several changes to the 2017 edition of NFPA 70: National Electrical Code should be noted
3. How NFPA 101 defines building egress – NFPA 101: Life Safety Code provides fire protection engineers many resources for designing safe egress, along with several other life safety options
4. When are VFDs essential? – Engineers should understand variable frequency drive technologies, and the key considerations for designing a VFD to control a motor
5. Cooling coil condensate system design – Cooling coil condensate is an important aspect of HVAC system design and should be carefully considered to avoid major issues in the future
6. What’s so special about office buildings? – Office buildings are complex structures containing automated features, energy-saving designs, high-tech equipment and other components as advanced as you’d find in any other state-of-the-art project
7. Eight considerations for an acoustically successful project – The team at TLC Engineering Solutions recently developed this list of building elements where noise transmission should be considered during design to result in a successful project.
8. Tips for designing circuit interrupters – Electrical engineers should be familiar with how to specify various circuit interruption and emergency electrical disconnects in commercial facilities
9. What’s so special about office buildings? Learn about fire and life safety systems – Office buildings are complex structures containing automated features, energy-saving designs, high-tech equipment and other components as advanced as you’d find in any other state-of-the-art project. Fire protection engineers play a key role
10. Lab, research facility design: Electrical, power and lighting – Learn tips on how to design labs and research facilities — some of the most high-tech buildings around