Seven trends in fire, life safety
Respondents to the Consulting-Specifying Engineer 2016 Fire and Life Safety Study identified seven high-level findings.
Respondents to the Consulting-Specifying Engineer 2016 Fire and Life Safety Study identified seven high-level findings impacting the fire and life safety industry:
- Building structures: Building respondents specify, design, or make fire and life safety system product selections for are office buildings (75%), industrial/manufacturing facilities/warehouses (56%), government buildings/military facilities (49%), and college/university buildings (49%).
- Systems specified: Three-quarters of respondents specify or expect to specify detection products—including control systems, dampers, and fire, smoke, heat, and linear detectors.
- Systems value: The average total annual dollar amount of fire and life safety systems specified for new and existing systems is $2.2 million.
- Challenges: When asked about fire and life safety system design challenges, six in 10 respondents indicated they were challenged by subjective interpretation of regulations by code authorities, inadequate design budget, designing for interoperability and integration of systems, codes and standards, and education as constant hurdles.
- Disciplines: Local authorities having jurisdiction (AHJs) or fire officials have the most input and impact on fire and life safety design, according to 72% of respondents, followed by owners (43%), architects (40%), and electrical engineers (38%).
- Design factors: Product quality (70%), service support (47%), and manufacturer’s reputation (42%) were identified as extremely important to respondents when selecting fire and life safety systems.
- Experience: The average engineer involved in fire and life safety systems has been in the industry for 23 years.
Consulting-Specifying Engineer's Product of the Year (POY) contest is the premier award for new products in the HVAC, fire, electrical, and...
Consulting-Specifying Engineer magazine is dedicated to encouraging and recognizing the most talented young individuals...
Combined heat and power; Assessing replacement of electrical systems; Energy codes and lighting; Salary Survey; Fan efficiency
Commissioning lighting control systems; 2016 Commissioning Giants; Design high-efficiency hot water systems for hospitals; Evaluating condensation and condensate
Driving motor efficiency; Preventing Arc Flash in mission critical facilities; Integrating alternative power and existing electrical systems
Putting COPS into context; Designing medium-voltage electrical systems; Planning and designing resilient, efficient data centers; The nine steps of designing generator fuel systems
As brand protection manager for Eaton’s Electrical Sector, Tom Grace oversees counterfeit awareness...
Amara Rozgus is chief editor and content manager of Consulting-Specifier Engineer magazine.
IEEE power industry experts bring their combined experience in the electrical power industry...