How to Select Transfer Switches
1 Professional Development Hour (PDH)
By attending this session, you will understand the basics of transfer switch selection, including specifying the correct type. Transfer switch equipment is available in a variety of types, with a wide array of features. Selecting the appropriate transfer switch for a specific application requires a clear understanding of site needs and application restraints.
- Discuss the basic operation of transfer switches and transition types to aid in the selection of equipment for a particular application.
- Discuss features and functions of transfer switch controls to enhance the operation of the power system.
- Identify when it is appropriate to use a 4-pole switch as compared to 3-pole.
- Describe the UL 1008 withstand and closing ratings for adequate protection of the switch and overall system.
- Learn about the difference between the short-circuit withstand/closing rating and the short-time rating.
Hassan Obeid, Global Technical Advisor for Systems and Controls – Critical Protection, Cummins