Top 5 Consulting-Specifying Engineer articles: August 2-August 8
Consulting-Specifying Engineer‘s top 5 most read articles online for Aug. 2-Aug. 8 covered HVAC and fire suppression piping, Standard 189.1, technologies to watch in fire and life safety, codes and standards in health care facilities and nuanced design strategies for senior living facilities. Were you out last week? Catch up with a link to each article below.
1. Combining HVAC, fire suppression piping – Modern, energy-efficient heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems can stress a project budget with their additional energy-efficiency requirements. Combining HVAC water distribution with a fire suppression piping system can result in first-cost savings, which can improve system life cycle costs.
2. What is Standard 189.1, and why does it matter? – ASHRAE Standard 189.1: International Green Construction Code is gaining industrywide consensus and momentum to become the all-in-one, go-to solution for code-enforceable green building design.
3. Three technologies to watch in fire, life safety – While some of these systems have been available for some time, they are not yet readily accepted by fire and life safety experts
4. As health care shifts, so do codes – Lower-cost alternatives to traditional hospitals create code challenges for engineers and designers
5. Attention to detail: Employing nuanced design strategies for senior living facilities – With a rising senior population, there’s a vital need for more senior living facilities and improved senior living care capabilities.