Bell & Gossett maximizes efficiency with parallel sensorless control technology
As the HVAC industry seeks energy-saving technologies, parallel pumping has emerged as a proven method of improving efficiency in pumping systems with higher control heads. With the advent of sensorless pump control technology, commercial and industrial water pumping systems can be optimized for even greater system efficiency.
Innovative sensorless pump controllers like Bell & Gossett’s Parallel Pump System (PPS) have the ability to manage multiple pump output without a wired differential pressure transducer (DPT). Eliminating the need for an external sensor reduces installation costs and related maintenances costs, such as inspections, replacement and recalibration.
With industry-leading features that exceed competitor offerings, B&G’s Parallel Pump System offers users a streamlined way to achieve higher energy efficiencies while lowering operating costs and extending equipment life.
Sensorless pump control technology relies on pump-specific algorithms, which can accurately predict where a pump operates on its curve. Sensorless pump controllers use speed, torque and power data to know where the pump operates on the curve and can be set up to take action based on those factors. In turn, that information can be used to monitor pump performance and dynamically match process demands.
The pump management technology is located directly within the drive’s software and coordinates a variety of functions to maximize the best efficiency point (BEP). B&G’s Parallel Pump System stages and de-stages pumps incrementally depending on varying demand, and changes the number of pumps that are running based on performance and speed requirements. This combination of functions provides energy savings beyond the drive and efficient motors. It provides peak hydraulic efficiency with the industry’s largest Efficiency Islands and meets ASHRAE 90.1 system efficiency requirements.
Bell & Gossett’s Parallel Pump System is the most flexible and capable parallel sensorless solution on the market. Compared to competitive products, the system provides advanced-system staging of up to eight pumps (more than any other offering on the market) in parallel, staged, sequenced and standby configurations for maximum system efficiency.
B&G’s Parallel Pump System integrates several other advanced features and functions to better control pump operation and provide critical information on pump efficiency and health, including:
- Energy savings modeling, a predictive tool that compares energy savings against fixed-speed pumping
- Standard communication protocols like BACnet and Modbus for seamless Building Management System integration, allowing for better control and monitoring of HVAC systems
- A dedicated power supply so multi-pump systems do not solely rely on variable frequency drive power
- A dedicated and integrated disconnect switch that eliminates the need to install a separate switch, reducing costs and time
- A 5.7-inch TFT touch screen for all necessary user interface functions, rivaling ease-of-use quality among competitors. The system also displays individual and VFD status; speed Ref (% and Hz); run time (hours); pump/VFD fault; run status (running/stopped in graphic animation); current (amps); volts (VAC); power (kW); pump head (graphic in real time); system flow (graphic in real time); system curve/pump (graphic in real time); control curve (graphic in real time); pump speed curve (graphic in real time); pump efficiency and power curve.
For more information about Bell & Gossett’s Parallel Pup System, please visit https://bellgossett.com.
Follow Bell & Gossett on social media:
- Facebook: BellandGossett
- Twitter: @BellGossett
- YouTube: BellandGossett
- LinkedIn: BellandGossett
Do you have experience and expertise with the topics mentioned in this content? You should consider contributing to our CFE Media editorial team and getting the recognition you and your company deserve. Click here to start this process.