Lighting & Lighting Controls Study
Lighting in office buildings
Two-thirds of engineers specify, design or make product selections for office buildings, according to the Consulting-Specifying Engineer 2019 Lighting & Lighting Controls Study — and 82% of these engineers are responsible for determining the requirements/writing the lighting specifications for these projects. Below are five lighting and lighting controls findings as they relate to office building projects:
- Design value: Engineering firms are specifying $708,900 annually, on average, in lighting and lighting control products for new and existing office buildings, with 31% specifying more than $1 million.
- Specifications: For office buildings, performance lighting specifications are written 73% of the time, followed by prescriptive (70%) and open: alternate or substitute (67%).
- Design coordination: When specifying lighting for office buildings, the architect has the most impact on design (91%), followed by contractors (63%) and the electrical engineer (58%).
- Challenges: Inadequate budgets (62%), the speed of project delivery (49%) and frequent changes to codes, regulations and standards (43%) are the top challenges engineers face when specifying lighting for office buildings.
- Design factors: When comparing lighting products for office buildings, engineers heavily weigh product quality, energy efficiency, the manufacturer’s reputation and service support offerings.
$131,000: Average total dollar amount of building automation systems specified annually for new and existing buildings. Source: Consulting-Specifying Engineer 2019 Lighting & Lighting Controls Study
64% of engineers report building owners and contractors (electrical, HVAC, etc.) as having significant impact on fire and life safety design projects. Source: Consulting-Specifying Engineer 2019 Fire & Life Safety Study
42% of engineers are responsible for selecting the brand of electrical or power systems included in specifications. Source: Consulting-Specifying Engineer 2019 Electrical & Power Study
Consulting-Specifying Engineer covers several research topics each year. All reports are available at www.csemag.com/research.
Access the full 2019 Lighting & Lighting Controls Study here. Amanda Pelliccione is the research director at CFE Media.
Do you have experience and expertise with the topics mentioned in this content? You should consider contributing to our CFE Media editorial team and getting the recognition you and your company deserve. Click here to start this process.