Lighting & Lighting Controls Study
Lighting in office buildings
Two-thirds of engineers specify, design or make product selections for office buildings, according to the Consulting-Specifying Engineer 2019 Lighting & Lighting Controls Study — and 82% of these engineers are responsible for determining the requirements/writing the lighting specifications for these projects. Below are five lighting and lighting controls findings as they relate to office building projects:
- Design value: Engineering firms are specifying $708,900 annually, on average, in lighting and lighting control products for new and existing office buildings, with 31% specifying more than $1 million.
- Specifications: For office buildings, performance lighting specifications are written 73% of the time, followed by prescriptive (70%) and open: alternate or substitute (67%).
- Design coordination: When specifying lighting for office buildings, the architect has the most impact on design (91%), followed by contractors (63%) and the electrical engineer (58%).
- Challenges: Inadequate budgets (62%), the speed of project delivery (49%) and frequent changes to codes, regulations and standards (43%) are the top challenges engineers face when specifying lighting for office buildings.
- Design factors: When comparing lighting products for office buildings, engineers heavily weigh product quality, energy efficiency, the manufacturer’s reputation and service support offerings.
$131,000: Average total dollar amount of building automation systems specified annually for new and existing buildings. Source: Consulting-Specifying Engineer 2019 Lighting & Lighting Controls Study
64% of engineers report building owners and contractors (electrical, HVAC, etc.) as having significant impact on fire and life safety design projects. Source: Consulting-Specifying Engineer 2019 Fire & Life Safety Study
42% of engineers are responsible for selecting the brand of electrical or power systems included in specifications. Source: Consulting-Specifying Engineer 2019 Electrical & Power Study
Consulting-Specifying Engineer covers several research topics each year. All reports are available at www.csemag.com/research.
Access the full 2019 Lighting & Lighting Controls Study here. Amanda Pelliccione is the research director at CFE Media.