Learn the status of the electrical, power industry
In these proprietary 2021 research results, learn about the specifying and buying habits in the electrical and power industry
The Electrical Design & Power Systems study was conducted by Consulting-Specifying Engineer to identify the buying and specifying habits of engineering professionals involving electrical and power products and systems. Executive summary:
- Eighty percent of survey respondents determine the requirements/write specifications when selecting electrical or power systems; 71% research and evaluate the options; 70% supervise or consult on the project.
- The average respondent spends 35% of their billable hours or time at work researching and/or specifying electrical and power systems.
- The average firm specifies $3.2 million annually in electrical or power systems for new and existing buildings; 33% specify more than $5 million annually.
- Respondents most often write prescriptive (77%) or performance specifications (76%) for electrical or power systems.
- Forty-eight percent of respondents have observed an increase in alternative energy/renewable energy systems over the past 12 to 18 months; other changes include those to budget/cost of projects or products specified (44%) and energy efficiency (39%).
- More than 70% of respondents foresee challenges in the future of electrical and power systems, engineers and/or the industry as they relate to speed of project delivery and inadequate budgets.
Download the full Electrical Design & Power Systems report here.