Fire, life safety in industrial, manufacturing, warehouses
Five findings from the 2019 Fire & Life Safety Study as it relates to industrial, manufacturing facilities and warehouses
Sixty-two percent of engineers specify, design or make product selections for industrial, manufacturing facilities and warehouses, according to the Consulting-Specifying Engineer 2019 Fire & Life Safety Study — and 88% of these engineers are responsible for determining the requirements/writing the fire and life safety system specifications for these projects. Below are five fire and life safety system findings as they relate to industrial, manufacturing facility and warehouse projects:
- Design value: Engineering firms are specifying $2.7 million annually, on average, in fire and life safety systems for new and existing industrial, manufacturing facilities and warehouses, with 26% specifying more than $3 million.
- Fire, life safety systems: Smoke detection, control systems, dampers, etc. (64%); fire, smoke, heat, linear detection (56%); and pipe, piping materials and pumps (51%) are the most common types for fire and life safety systems currently being specified.
- Specifications: For industrial, manufacturing facilities and warehouses, performance fire and life safety systems specifications are written 79% of the time, followed by prescriptive (73%) and open: alternate or substitute (53%).
- Design factors: When comparing fire and life safety systems for industrial, manufacturing facilities and warehouses, engineers heavily weigh product quality (83%), service support (52%), the manufacturer’s reputation (45%), previous experience with the manufacturer (44%) and warranty (44%).
- Challenges: Inadequate budgets (74%), the speed of project delivery (62%) and a lack of young engineers/professionals (60%) are the top challenges engineers face when specifying fire and life safety systems.
Access more fire and life safety trends at www.csemag.com/research. Amanda Pelliccione is the research director at CFE Media.
Do you have experience and expertise with the topics mentioned in this content? You should consider contributing to our CFE Media editorial team and getting the recognition you and your company deserve. Click here to start this process.