Consulting-Specifying Engineer most-viewed articles, April 2020
Read the best articles in April 2020 including: Coronavirus' impacts on consulting engineers, hospitals, patients, the MEP supply chain and more.
Consulting-Specifying Engineer‘s top 10 articles online in April 2020 covered coronavirus’ impacts on consulting engineers, hospitals, patients, the MEP supply chain and more. Catch up with a link to each article below.
1. Climate-informed HVAC increases in relative humidity may fight COVID-19 and other pandemics – Indoor relative humidity is a function of seasonal climate and building HVAC. The range of 40 to 60% RH may reduce contagion and help those who are infected.
2. Converting alternative structures for COVID-19 patients – Converting structures such as hospitals, arenas, convention centers and other large-scale buildings in the wake of COVID-19 is a challenge, but perhaps a necessary one as the pandemic continues.
3. Preparing for COVID–19: Strategies for creating isolation areas with existing hospital infrastructure – Hospitals and clinics will need to find ways to support an increase in patients who test positive for the virus. Strategies for creating isolation wards and using underutilized space can help.
4. Rapid conversion of an isolation suite for COVID-19 patient care – UNC REX Hospital in Raleigh, N.C., modified its buildings to mitigate the spread of the virus and prepare for an increased number of COVID-19 patients.
5. How COVID-19 is affecting the MEP supply chain – The COVID-19 pandemic is having a major effect on the A/E/C industry and within the mechanical, electrical, and plumbing (MEP) supply chain, but there are encouraging signs for the future.
6. Infection control technologies for building design – Building design and operations need to consider infection control technologies in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
7. Modeling a changed world for COVID-19 recovery decisions – COVID-19 has had many impacts and poses many new operational challenges for governments in our globally integrated, highly urbanized world.
8. How NFPA 101 defines building egress – NFPA 101: Life Safety Code provides fire protection engineers many resources for designing safe egress, along with several other life safety options.
9. Coronavirus’ impact on the A/E industry, April 20, 2020 – Morrissey Goodale is providing A/E leaders with news on the coronavirus and its impact on the industry. Highlights this week include a roundup on the general impact of the economy and a take on the post-coronavirus AEC industry.
10. Your questions answered: How to specify backup, standby and emergency power in mission critical facilities – Additional information from the Feb. 27, 2020, webcast was provided by the presenters.