Codes and Standards
Codes and standards for transformers
Several codes, standards and guidelines must be considered when specifying transformers
Figure 2: The three-phase electrical distribution system ETAP model for a typical industrial facility, such as a water treatment plant, is shown. Courtesy: CDM Smith
The following technical codes and standards are applicable to and should be considered when selecting and evaluating the overall performance of a transformer, specifically dry-type power transformers:
- NEMA ST-20: Dry-Type Transformers for General Applications.
- IEEE Standard C57.98: IEEE Guide for Transformer Impulse Tests.
- IEEE Standard C57.12.80: IEEE Standard Terminology for Power and Distribution Transformers.
- IEEE Standard C57.12.70: IEEE Standard for Standard Terminal Markings and Connections for Distribution and Power Transformers.
- IEEE Standard C57.12.59: IEEE Guide for Dry-Type Transformer Through-Fault Current Duration.
- IEEE Standard C57.96: IEEE Guide for Loading Dry-Type Distribution and Power Transformers.
- NFPA 70, National Electrical Code: Article 450, Transformers and Transformer Vaults.
- IEEE Standard C57.12.01: General Requirements for Dry-Type Distribution and Power Transformers, Including Those with Solid-Cast and/or Resin Encapsulated Windings.
- IEEE Standard C57.12.51: Requirements for Ventilated Dry-Type Power Transformers, 501 Kilovolt-Amperes and Larger, Three-Phase, with High-Voltage 601 to 34 500 Volts, Low-Voltage 208Y/120 to 4160 Volts.
- IEEE Standard C57.12.55: Transformers — Used in Unit Installations, Including Unit Substations — Conformance Standard.
- IEEE Standard C57.12.56: Standard Test Procedure for Thermal Evaluation of Insulation Systems for Ventilated Dry-Type Power and Distribution Transformers.
- IEEE Standard C57.12.58: Guide for Conducting a Transient Voltage Analysis of a Dry-Type Transformer Coil.
- IEEE Standard C57.12.60: Guide for Test Procedures for Thermal Evaluation of Insulation Systems for Solid-Cast and Resin-Encapsulated Power and Distribution Transformers.
- IEEE Standard C57.12.00: IEEE Standard for General Requirements for Liquid-Immersed Distribution, Power and Regulating Transformers.
- IEEE Standard C57.12.91: Standard Test Code for Dry-Type Distribution and Power Transformers.
- IEEE Standard C57.110: IEEE Recommended Practice for Establishing Liquid-Filled and Dry-Type Power and Distribution Transformer Capability When Supplying Nonsinusoidal Load Currents.