Codes and standards for transformers
Several codes, standards and guidelines must be considered when specifying transformers
The following technical codes and standards are applicable to and should be considered when selecting and evaluating the overall performance of a transformer, specifically dry-type power transformers:
- NEMA ST-20: Dry-Type Transformers for General Applications.
- IEEE Standard C57.98: IEEE Guide for Transformer Impulse Tests.
- IEEE Standard C57.12.80: IEEE Standard Terminology for Power and Distribution Transformers.
- IEEE Standard C57.12.70: IEEE Standard for Standard Terminal Markings and Connections for Distribution and Power Transformers.
- IEEE Standard C57.12.59: IEEE Guide for Dry-Type Transformer Through-Fault Current Duration.
- IEEE Standard C57.96: IEEE Guide for Loading Dry-Type Distribution and Power Transformers.
- NFPA 70, National Electrical Code: Article 450, Transformers and Transformer Vaults.
- IEEE Standard C57.12.01: General Requirements for Dry-Type Distribution and Power Transformers, Including Those with Solid-Cast and/or Resin Encapsulated Windings.
- IEEE Standard C57.12.51: Requirements for Ventilated Dry-Type Power Transformers, 501 Kilovolt-Amperes and Larger, Three-Phase, with High-Voltage 601 to 34 500 Volts, Low-Voltage 208Y/120 to 4160 Volts.
- IEEE Standard C57.12.55: Transformers — Used in Unit Installations, Including Unit Substations — Conformance Standard.
- IEEE Standard C57.12.56: Standard Test Procedure for Thermal Evaluation of Insulation Systems for Ventilated Dry-Type Power and Distribution Transformers.
- IEEE Standard C57.12.58: Guide for Conducting a Transient Voltage Analysis of a Dry-Type Transformer Coil.
- IEEE Standard C57.12.60: Guide for Test Procedures for Thermal Evaluation of Insulation Systems for Solid-Cast and Resin-Encapsulated Power and Distribution Transformers.
- IEEE Standard C57.12.00: IEEE Standard for General Requirements for Liquid-Immersed Distribution, Power and Regulating Transformers.
- IEEE Standard C57.12.91: Standard Test Code for Dry-Type Distribution and Power Transformers.
- IEEE Standard C57.110: IEEE Recommended Practice for Establishing Liquid-Filled and Dry-Type Power and Distribution Transformer Capability When Supplying Nonsinusoidal Load Currents.
Do you have experience and expertise with the topics mentioned in this content? You should consider contributing to our CFE Media editorial team and getting the recognition you and your company deserve. Click here to start this process.