2017 Lighting and Lighting Control Study
Lighting in research facilities, laboratories.
The Consulting-Specifying Engineer 2017 Lighting & Lighting Controls Study indicated that 44% of engineers specify, design, or make product selections for research facilities/laboratories—and nine in 10 of these engineers are responsible for determining the requirements/writing specifications for these projects. Below are five lighting engineering and design findings as they relate to research facility/laboratory projects:
- Revenue: The average firm earns $728,000 annually from lighting and lighting control products specified into new and existing research facilities/laboratories, with 32% bringing in more than $1 million each year from these projects.
- Systems specified: The top three lights or lighting control products being specified into research facilities/laboratories are LEDs (93%); lighting controls and/or addressable systems (81%); and any size T5, T8, or T12 (54%).
- Challenges: When working on lighting engineering and design for research facilities/laboratories, engineers are having the most difficulty with insufficient budgets for high-quality designs (66%) and meeting a client’s expected delivery date (56%).
- Outlook: Engineers are most concerned about keeping up with new/changing lighting technologies; frequent changes to lighting codes and standards; and the usage of controls, building automation, and addressable systems with regards to future research facility/laboratory projects.
- Comparing products: Overall quality is most important when selecting a lighting product for a research facility/laboratory; engineers are also looking at product energy efficiency, manufacturers’ reputations, and their previous experience with manufacturers.
View more information at www.csemag.com/2017LightingStudy. Amanda Pelliccione is the research director at CFE Media.
- 23: Average number of years a fire protection engineer has worked with in their professional field. Source: Consulting-Specifying Engineer 2016 Fire & Life Safety Study
- 56% of engineers make electrical or power system selections for office building and/or industrial/manufacturing facility/warehouse projects. Source: Consulting-Specifying Engineer 2016 Electrical & Power Study
- 77% of engineers have been affected by changes to lighting controls within the past 12 to 18 months. Source: Consulting-Specifying Engineer 2017 Lighting & Lighting Controls Study
Consulting-Specifying Engineer covers several research topics each year. All reports are available at www.csemag.com/research.
Do you have experience and expertise with the topics mentioned in this content? You should consider contributing to our CFE Media editorial team and getting the recognition you and your company deserve. Click here to start this process.