2017 HVAC & building automation systems study
According to the Consulting-Specifying Engineer 2017 HVAC & Building Automation Systems Study, 44% of engineers specify, design, or select products for research facilities/laboratories-and 78% of these engineers are responsible for determining the requirements/writing specifications for these projects. Below are five HVAC and BAS findings as they relate to research facility projects:
- Design value: Engineering firms are specifying $3.3 million annually, on average, in HVAC and BAS products for new and existing research facilities, with 33% specifying more than $5 million. The top revenue-generating systems include fans, air movement products, air handlers, pumps, pumping systems, and BAS.
- HVAC challenges: More than half of respondents agree that energy efficiency and an inadequate budget for good design are affecting the future of HVAC systems in research facilities.
- BAS challenges: The top challenge when designing BAS for research facilities is interoperability and complementing systems, followed by inadequate budget and cybersecurity/security.
- Products specified: HVAC controls (80%), air handlers (76%), and rooftop units (73%) are the top three HVAC equipment types or control systems being specified into research facility projects.
- Looking ahead: More than 65% of engineers expect to see an increase in research facility projects involving dedicated outdoor air systems and/or energy recovery systems.
227: Average number of people employed by firms performing electrical or power system specification/design services. Source: Consulting-Specifying Engineer 2016 Electrical & Power Study
53% of firms obtained design revenue from project involving building management systems. Source: Consulting-Specifying Engineer 2017 HVAC & Building Automation Systems Study
82% of engineers determine the requirements and/or write the specifications for projects involving fire and life safety systems. Source: Consulting-Specifying Engineer 2018 Fire & Life Safety Study
Consulting-Specifying Engineer covers several research topics each year. All reports are available at www.csemag.com/research.
View more information at www.csemag.com/2017HVACBAS. Amanda Pelliccione is the research director at CFE Media.