Six electrical, power findings identify changes, struggles
Respondents to the Consulting-Specifying Engineer 2016 Electrical and Power Study identified six high-level findings impacting the electrical and power industries today.
Respondents to the Consulting-Specifying Engineer 2016 Electrical and Power Study identified six high-level findings impacting the electrical and power industries today:
- Electrical, power revenue: The average engineering firm specifies about $2.8 million annually for electrical and power systems in new and existing building projects; 15% of these firms specify $500,001 to $750,000 in these systems, up from only 8% in 2015.
- Systems specified: Seven in 10 engineers currently specify circuit breakers and fuses, emergency and standby power, transformers, electrical distribution, and cable/wire systems or equipment. Renewable energy systems have gained some popularity, having been specified by 35% of engineers in 2015 to 42% in 2016.
- Selection involvement: Seventy-five percent of respondents are responsible for determining requirements/writing specifications for electrical or power systems. Another 67% supervise or consult on projects, while 63% research and evaluate options.
- Specifications: Twenty-nine percent of respondents always write performance electrical or power specifications, and another 52% frequently write this type of specification. The regularity of writing open (proprietary) specifications has declined from 65% to 58% over the past year.
- Building structures: The top three building types for which respondents specify, design, or make product selections are office buildings (56%), industrial/manufacturing facilities/warehouses (56%), and educational facilities (48%).
- Critical issues: The constant struggles with budgets/costs, the lack of a skilled workforce, designing for energy efficiency, and keeping up-to-date on new technologies are critical challenges/issues affecting the future of electrical or power system design.
Consulting-Specifying Engineer's Product of the Year (POY) contest is the premier award for new products in the HVAC, fire, electrical, and...
Consulting-Specifying Engineer magazine is dedicated to encouraging and recognizing the most talented young individuals...
Combined heat and power; Assessing replacement of electrical systems; Energy codes and lighting; Salary Survey; Fan efficiency
Commissioning lighting control systems; 2016 Commissioning Giants; Design high-efficiency hot water systems for hospitals; Evaluating condensation and condensate
Driving motor efficiency; Preventing Arc Flash in mission critical facilities; Integrating alternative power and existing electrical systems
Putting COPS into context; Designing medium-voltage electrical systems; Planning and designing resilient, efficient data centers; The nine steps of designing generator fuel systems
As brand protection manager for Eaton’s Electrical Sector, Tom Grace oversees counterfeit awareness...
Amara Rozgus is chief editor and content manager of Consulting-Specifier Engineer magazine.
IEEE power industry experts bring their combined experience in the electrical power industry...