News at a Glance
• U.S. Dept. of Energy Associate UnderSecretary for Energy Richard F. Moorer announced the launch of the EnergySmart Hospitals initiative to increase the use of energy-efficient technologies in hospitals across the United States. The EnergySmart Hospitals initiative will target 20% improved efficiency in existing hospital facilities and 30% improvement over current standards in new construction.
• A team of scientists from Delft University of Technology in the Netherlands have harnessed energy from the wind by doing what kids do best—flying kites. By flying a 10-sq meter kite tethered to a generator, they are producing up to 10 kW of power.
• Oct. 5-7: Building Commissioning Assn. Conference and Expo, Hyatt Regency Long Island at Wind Watch Golf Club, Long Island, N.Y. www.bcxa.com
• Oct. 1-3: World Energy Engineering Congress, Gaylord National Convention Center, Washington, D.C. www.energycongress.com
• Oct. 16-18: AMCA International 53rd Annual Meeting. The Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort and Spa, Savannah, Ga. www.amca.org