M/E Insider: Promotions, Additions and Olympic-Sized Work
• Athanasios Papademos, P.E. , has been promoted to technical director of electrical engineering with Albert Kahn Associates, Inc. , Detroit. In his new position he will manage electrical engineering, design, construction drawings and specifications development for all projects.
• Cannon Design has been selected as prime consultant for the design of a new speed-skating oval in Vancouver, British Columbia for the 2010 Olympic Winter Games. The 363,175-sq.-ft. facility is scheduled to be completed by 2007. Robert J. Johnston, MRAIC, AIA , principal, with Cannon’s Vancouver office, is the principal-in-charge on the project.
• Four senior-level staff professionals have been promoted at Lilker Associates , New York. Martin Bowen, P.E. , has been promoted to principal of the firm and associate department head of the electrical department; Steven Hammer, P.E. , is also now a principal; Morais Miranda, RCDD , has been promoted from director to principal of Lilker’s Technology Solutions Group; and David Tanenbaum is now the senior associate and associate department head of the mechanical department.
• Mike Miller, AIA , has joined the Chicago office of A/E/C management consulting and publishing firm ZweigWhite , and will provide business planning consulting services to clients in the area.
• Smith Seckman Reid , Nashville, Tenn., recently received the Grand Award for Engineering Excellence in the American Council of Engineering Companies of Tennessee’s annual statewide awards competition. The firm was recognized for its work on the Metropolitan Nashville District Energy System, which replaced a waste-burning plant that the Nashville Thermal Transfer Corporation had operated since 1974.