M/E Insider: Awards and Achievements
• Guarantee Electrical Company , St. Louis, recently received a 2005 Construction Keystone Award from the Associated General Contractors of St. Louis for its work on the LEED-platinum Alberici Constructors headquarters. Guarantee served as the electrical design-builder for the project, achieving an extremely efficient electrical system through the use of natural light, daylight harvesting, light pollution reduction, renewable energy and a building management system.
• Jeanna L. Barnard , principal/senior director with the Orlando, Fla. office of R.W. Beck , was recently honored as the first recipient of the Robert E. Bathen Award for her entrepreneurial leadership and “can-do” attitude, as well as her overall dedication to the firm.
• John P. Pierko, P.E. , vice president of ms consultants, inc. , Youngstown, Ohio, was recently granted an ownership share of the company by its shareholders. Pierko is a 26-year veteran of the company.
• Interface Engineering , Portland, Ore., has promoted controller and associate principal Beverly Markstrom to Principal/Partner. She becomes one of eleven principals at Interface. Before joining the firm in July 2000, Markstrom was controller at Land Tech, Inc., a Portland civil engineering firm. Interface also recently hired Doug Smith, P.E., LEED AP, NaSBA ( National Sustainable Building Advisor) , and named him an associate with the firm. Smith will be based in the firm’s Kirkland (Seattle), Wash. office.
• Orlando-based BCA Consulting & Design Engineers completed design for the first LEED-certified small commercial project in the state of Florida. The project, Kangaroo Express Store #1416, now underway in Gainesville, includes high-tech energy-saving features such as extra roof insulation, super-efficient glazing, daylighting, dimmable indoor lighting and efficient HVAC systems design.