Industry Roundup: Alliances, Awards and Anniversaries
• Advance Transformer, Rosemont, Ill., will celebrate its 60th anniversary in 2005. From its beginning as a producer of transformers for government contracts from a 4th floor storefront operation in Chicago, Advance has grown to employ more than 5,000, offer over 1,000 ballast and LED driver products and occupy more than 1 million sq. ft. of facility space throughout North America and Asia over the course of its six decades of operation.
• Beckhoff Automation , Minneapolis, has received UL certification for its DALI network KL6811 distributed I/O terminals, which are now approved for use in U.S. applications. DALI (Digital Addressable Lighting Interface) is a protocol designed to automate building lighting. The AG-DALI group was established by several manufacturers and educational institutions to promote the technology and implement its use in building automation.
• Corning Cable Systems, Hickory, N.C., and Marlborough, Mass.-based 3Com are working together to promote fiber to the desk (FTTD). With the former’s optical connectivity solutions and latter’s newly released IntelliJack Switch, end users will have access to an economical FTTD solution.
• Emerson Climate Technologies, St. Louis, has formed a strategic partnership between its White-Rodgers division and Comverge, Inc., an energy intelligence company. As part of the partnership, a White-Rodgers programmable thermostat will be the primary thermostat used in Comverge’s peak load management programs for HVAC systems.
• ETL SEMKO division of Intertek , Chicago, Ill., recently launched an industry awareness campaign about the ETL Mark as an alterative to the UL mark.With a series of ads and a new website, www.ETL.com, the campaign informs manufacturers that the ETL Mark is an alternative in North American certification marks.
• MGE UPS Systems, Costa Mesa, Calif., announced last month it has entered into a strategic alliance with Wright Line LLC, a Massachusetts-based manufacturer of consoles, electronic and server enclosures and furniture for data and network operation centers, 911/dispatch centers and control rooms. Through this new alliance, both MGE and Wright Line are able to provide customers with rack enclosures integrated with UPS and other power availability solutions.
• Trane, Piscataway, N.J., has just won a competitive bid process with Carrefour, the world's second largest retailer, for 38 new stores in China, Indonesia, Thailand, Taiwan, Singapore and Malaysia. Trane will supply its high-efficiency R-123 direct drive centrifugal chillers, and service and maintenance for five years, as the sole supplier of chillers for Carrefour in China.