Eight trends in HVAC, BAS
Respondents to the Consulting-Specifying Engineer 2015 HVAC and Building Automation Systems (BAS) Study identified eight high-level findings.
Respondents to the Consulting-Specifying Engineer 2015 HVAC and Building Automation Systems (BAS) Study identified eight high-level findings:
- Building structures: More than half of mechanical engineers specify product selections for office buildings, industrial/manufacturing facilities/warehouses, educational facilities, and government buildings/military facilities.
- Selection involvement: Seventy-four percent of respondents determine requirements/write specifications for HVAC systems, equipment, and controls.
- Design value: Engineering firms are annually specifying $2.4 million, on average, in HVAC and BAS products for new and existing buildings, with 27% specifying more than $5.0 million.
- HVAC challenges: At least half of respondents agree that energy efficiency and an inadequate budget for good design are affecting the future of HVAC systems.
- BAS challenges: Two-thirds of engineers reported interoperability and complementing systems as a top challenge when designing BAS, followed closely by an inadequate budget.
- Products specified: Fans and air movement, air handlers, and rooftop units were the top three HVAC equipment types or control systems currently being specified by mechanical engineers.
- Sources of design revenue: Seven out of 10 respondents cited fans and air movement, pumps and pumping systems, and air handlers as having generated design revenue for their firms within the past year.
- Time spent researching: The average mechanical engineer spends 32% of their billable hours/time at work researching and/or specifying HVAC systems and BAS.
Consulting-Specifying Engineer's Product of the Year (POY) contest is the premier award for new products in the HVAC, fire, electrical, and...
Consulting-Specifying Engineer magazine is dedicated to encouraging and recognizing the most talented young individuals...
Combined heat and power; Assessing replacement of electrical systems; Energy codes and lighting; Salary Survey; Fan efficiency
Commissioning lighting control systems; 2016 Commissioning Giants; Design high-efficiency hot water systems for hospitals; Evaluating condensation and condensate
Driving motor efficiency; Preventing Arc Flash in mission critical facilities; Integrating alternative power and existing electrical systems
Putting COPS into context; Designing medium-voltage electrical systems; Planning and designing resilient, efficient data centers; The nine steps of designing generator fuel systems
As brand protection manager for Eaton’s Electrical Sector, Tom Grace oversees counterfeit awareness...
Amara Rozgus is chief editor and content manager of Consulting-Specifier Engineer magazine.
IEEE power industry experts bring their combined experience in the electrical power industry...