Benefits and Drawbacks to UVC HVAC
Pluses of UVC emitters:
• Easy to install, maintain and operate.
• Stop mold growth on coils and eliminates the spread of mold spores and mycotoxins in the occupied space by the air-handling system.
• Clean coils by constantly killing mold; manual cleaning or chemical processing is only a temporary solution to mold growth on coils.
• Does not produce ozone, and eliminates the need to use coil cleaning chemicals, which are released into the airstream.
• Improves airflow, reducing energy costs via reduced fan energy.
• Cleans coils so that they perform better, resulting in energy savings.
• Coil cleaning is substantially reduced or eliminated saving labor and chemical costs.
• Occupant health may improve resulting in less sick time and increased productivity.
Minuses of UVC emitters:
• There are many anecdotal stories supporting the use of UVC in mold prevention, but scientific cause and affect data has not been made available yet.
• UVC users may not replace lamps at end-of-life resulting in loss of protection.
• UVC emitters are not required by code or law.