ASHRAE Focuses on Future Growth with New Strategic Plan
The American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air Conditioning Engineers announced in March that a new strategic plan has been adopted by the organization to help move ASHRAE toward fulfilling its vision of a better future.
“The new plan charts an exciting course for ASHRAE,”
Changing technologies, rising energy prices and increased focus on sustainability have challenged ASHRAE to stay at the cutting edge of the field, according to Burgett. At the same time, competition has increased and ASHRAE must focus its efforts to ensure that its products and services are timely, relevant and appropriately positioned to serve the changing marketplace. The strategic plan will help the Society achieve this, he noted.
“The Board of Directors has planned a course for ASHRAE’s future,” Kent Peterson, chair of the Planning Committee, which lead development of the process. “Our goal is to make the strategic directions and strategies included in the plan business-as-usual for our volunteers and staff. We are excited about the opportunities to continue to improve ASHRAE’s value to our membership and the HVAC&R industry.”
The plan contains four strategic directions where ASHRAE will focus its efforts over the next several years, over the next several years, including the following:
• Lead the advancement of sustainable building design and operations.
• Be a world-class provider of education and certification programs
• Position itself as premier provider of HVAC&R expertise.
• Be a global leader in the HVAC&R community.
To accomplish these strategic directions, several strategies are identified, including:
• Leading the drive toward the design, construction and operation of net-zero-energy buildings through research, publications and education.
• Developing the performance metrics and rating systems to certify operational performance of buildings for energy efficiency and indoor environmental quality.
• Collaborating with other organizations to integrate HVAC&R systems with other building systems to enhance the effectiveness of total building design and integrated practice.
• Providing accessible on-demand education and distance learning to members and other customers.
• Developing and promoting certification programs for the HVAC&R industry.
aid. “When we get embroiled in details about our technology, this statement is a useful reminder that ASHRAE’s cumulative work product improves the quality of life for people around the world.”