Pipe hangers and supports standards updated
The Manufactures Standardization Society has published a comprehensive standard practice for pipe hangers and supports.
The Manufactures Standardization Society (MSS) has published a newly revised and enhanced Standard Practice, SP-58-2009, Pipe Hangers and Supports - Materials, Design, Manufacture, Selection, Application, and Installation.
This comprehensive Standard Practice combines all of the content of five Pipe Hanger and Support standards into a single document. MSS SP-58-2009 will serve as a complete guide for pipe hanger and support design, manufacture, selection, and installation, enabling the user to specify a minimum level of acceptance for pipe hanger design and performance, in addition to defining the types of hangers and supports.
MSS SP-58-2009 includes all of the information from ANSI/MSS SP-69, Selection and Application; MSS SP-77, Guidelines for Pipe Support Contractual Relations; MSS SP-89, Fabrication and Installation Practices; and MSS SP-90, Guidelines on Terminology for Pipe Hangers and Supports.
The scope of this revised Standard Practice:
• Establishes the material, design, fabrication, and inspection criteria to be used in the manufacture of standard types of pipe hanger components
• Establishes the allowable stress values for materials used in standard types of pipe support components and unique hanger design assemblies
• Establishes minimum design load ratings for rigid pipe hanger assemblies
• Presents the recommended practice for the selection and application of pipe hangers and supports for all service temperatures
• Establishes recommended procedures for detailing, fabrication, and installation of pipe hangers and supports
• Serves as a pipe hanger and support specification for selection and application
• Serves as a guide to proven industry practice during engineering design and writing of job specifications covering the hanging, supporting and controlling the movement of piping systems
• Provides the erector with information on types of hanger and support components to be used for specific application and installations, where such information is not otherwise provided
• Serves as a companion document to MSS SP-127 which provides recommendations for the design, selection, and application of bracing for piping systems subject to seismic- wind - dynamic loading.
The content of this Standard Practice provides an effective, clear, and non-exclusive specification that benefits the industry as a whole and provides a basis for common practice by manufacturers, users, and the general public.