Office Depot Opens First LEED for Commercial Interiors Registered Retail Store
Austin, Texas, Location One of 14 "Greener" Stores Planned For 2010.
Office Depot will celebrate the opening of its first U.S. Green Building Council LEED for Commercial Interiors (CI) registered store. Office Depot expects the store to be certified a few months after opening. LEED CI is the U.S. Green Building Council's recognized system for certifying high performance green interiors that are healthy, productive places to work; are less costly to operate and maintain; and have a reduced environmental footprint.
Beginning with this store, all new and relocated North American Office Depot retail locations will receive LEED CI certification, including 14 stores planned for 2010.
Office Depot LEED CI Green Store Highlights
Features of all new Office Depot LEED for Commercial Interiors certified stores will include:
- Skylights (where applicable) to harvest daylight for 90% of the store.
- Reflective roof, which features a membrane that helps to prevent absorption of the heat from the sun and keeps the interior of the store much cooler.
- Energy Star rated HVAC equipment, which exceeds ASHRAE standards.
- T5 energy-efficient lighting, which is over 30% more efficient than typical retail lighting and will contribute to a more than 20% reduction in energy use.
- Daylight and occupancy sensors, which reduce energy use.
- Water conservation interior fixtures, including tankless instant hot water heaters, low flush toilets, low flow urinals and automatic shutoff sensors in restrooms that will use over 30% less water than the typical facility.
- Construction waste that will be recycled when waste recycling is available.
- Construction materials that consist of at least 10% recycled content.
- Wood, 50% of which will come from Forest Stewardship Council certified sources.
- Interior finishes made up of low VOC emitting materials and finishes.
- Green Power purchases to supplement electrical use.
- Energy Management Systems that allow tracking of energy usage and trends from one central location.
- 100% Energy Star rated building equipment and appliances.
- Office supplies, technology and furniture featuring a range of green attributes, including recycled content, remanufactured, Energy Star rated, and non-toxic.
- An in-store recycling center with environmental solutions including Office Depot Ink and Toner Cartridge Recycling, Tech Recycling Service and Cell Phone and Rechargeable Battery Recycling.
- Preferred parking designated for low-emitting, fuel-efficient vehicles and carpooling.
Case Study Database
Get more exposure for your case study by uploading it to the Consulting-Specifying Engineer case study database, where end-users can identify relevant solutions and explore what the experts are doing to effectively implement a variety of technology and productivity related projects.
These case studies provide examples of how knowledgeable solution providers have used technology, processes and people to create effective and successful implementations in real-world situations. Case studies can be completed by filling out a simple online form where you can outline the project title, abstract, and full story in 1500 words or less; upload photos, videos and a logo.
Click here to visit the Case Study Database and upload your case study.