May 1 Southland Industries update: CUP nearly complete
The central utility plant is currently 80% complete; the project team recently hung four Armstrong vertical inline 1,900 gpm chilled water pumps; the boiler flue gas economizers have been hung.
As of May 1, 2013:
- The central utility plant (CUP) is currently 80% complete (see Figure 1 in the slideshow below)
- The project team recently hung four Armstrong vertical inline 1,900 gallons per minute (gpm) chilled water pumps (see Figure 2).
- The boiler flue gas economizers have been hung and are awaiting boiler flue and boilers (see Figure 3).
- We will be circulating water in the chiller plant in the coming months and are awaiting delivery of the boilers in July.
- Below are some interesting stats about the project that might be of interest. For your reference, much of the sustainable-conscious design used in the CUP helps attribute to the energy and water savings projected below.
- 786,965 cfm AHU supply volume
- 37,063,905 kWh annual electricity use, 11.7% savings over ASHRAE baseline
- 39,697 therms annual natural gas use, 92.8 % savings over ASHRAE baseline
- Overall 34.3% energy savings over ASHRAE baseline
- 8,112,515 gal of water used per year, 40% savings over baseline
- 46,864-MBH steam boiler plant
- 5,422-ton chiller plant
- 393,227 LF (74.5 miles) of pipe
- 1,302,485 lbs (651.2 tons) of sheetmetal
Gary Lovewell is a senior project manager at Southland Industries.
Consulting-Specifying Engineer's Product of the Year (POY) contest is the premier award for new products in the HVAC, fire, electrical, and...
Consulting-Specifying Engineer magazine is dedicated to encouraging and recognizing the most talented young individuals...
Combined heat and power; Assessing replacement of electrical systems; Energy codes and lighting; Salary Survey; Fan efficiency
Commissioning lighting control systems; 2016 Commissioning Giants; Design high-efficiency hot water systems for hospitals; Evaluating condensation and condensate
Driving motor efficiency; Preventing Arc Flash in mission critical facilities; Integrating alternative power and existing electrical systems
Putting COPS into context; Designing medium-voltage electrical systems; Planning and designing resilient, efficient data centers; The nine steps of designing generator fuel systems
As brand protection manager for Eaton’s Electrical Sector, Tom Grace oversees counterfeit awareness...
Amara Rozgus is chief editor and content manager of Consulting-Specifier Engineer magazine.
IEEE power industry experts bring their combined experience in the electrical power industry...