May 1 Southland Industries update: CUP nearly complete
The central utility plant is currently 80% complete; the project team recently hung four Armstrong vertical inline 1,900 gpm chilled water pumps; the boiler flue gas economizers have been hung.
As of May 1, 2013:
- The central utility plant (CUP) is currently 80% complete (see Figure 1 in the slideshow below)
- The project team recently hung four Armstrong vertical inline 1,900 gallons per minute (gpm) chilled water pumps (see Figure 2).
- The boiler flue gas economizers have been hung and are awaiting boiler flue and boilers (see Figure 3).
- We will be circulating water in the chiller plant in the coming months and are awaiting delivery of the boilers in July.
- Below are some interesting stats about the project that might be of interest. For your reference, much of the sustainable-conscious design used in the CUP helps attribute to the energy and water savings projected below.
- 786,965 cfm AHU supply volume
- 37,063,905 kWh annual electricity use, 11.7% savings over ASHRAE baseline
- 39,697 therms annual natural gas use, 92.8 % savings over ASHRAE baseline
- Overall 34.3% energy savings over ASHRAE baseline
- 8,112,515 gal of water used per year, 40% savings over baseline
- 46,864-MBH steam boiler plant
- 5,422-ton chiller plant
- 393,227 LF (74.5 miles) of pipe
- 1,302,485 lbs (651.2 tons) of sheetmetal
Gary Lovewell is a senior project manager at Southland Industries.
Consulting-Specifying Engineer's Product of the Year (POY) contest is the premier award for new products in the HVAC, fire, electrical, and...
Consulting-Specifying Engineer magazine is dedicated to encouraging and recognizing the most talented young individuals...
Salary survey: How much are you worth?; Dedicated outdoor air systems; Energy models and lighting
Fire, life safety in schools; Fire protection codes; Detection, suppression, and notification; 2015 Commissioning Giants; Emergency and standby power in hospitals
Designing positive-energy buildings; Ensuring power quality; Complying with NFPA 110; Minimizing arc flash hazards
Implementing microgrids: Controlling campus power generation; Understanding cogeneration systems; Evaluating UPS system efficiency; Driving data center PUE, efficiency
As brand protection manager for Eaton’s Electrical Sector, Tom Grace oversees counterfeit awareness...
Amara Rozgus is chief editor and content manager of Consulting-Specifier Engineer magazine.
IEEE power industry experts bring their combined experience in the electrical power industry...